International Walk to School Day celebrates the benefits of walking, biking, or scooting to school. At the top of the list of benefits is fun! Remember the joy of your first scooter ride, taking the training wheels off, or that walk to school on your first day? There’s something special about using active modes of transportation to get to school.
While there are many benefits to walking, biking, or scooting to school, it’s important to be safe while you do so. Below you’ll find our top 5 tips to make sure your commute is both safe & fun.
- Wear a helmet when scooting or biking - don’t take the risk of a serious brain injury. They are more common than you might think! Use this checklist to make sure your helmet is a proper fit, and make sure it’s secure before you head to school.
- Plan your route - have an idea of how long it will take you to get there, what traffic is like, and if it’s safe. You can also plan to pick up a friend on your way!
- Walk your scooter across the crosswalk - Looking both ways isn’t the only tip you need to remember hen crossing the street! Walking your scooter across the crosswalk ensures that you’re slowing down enough to look both ways, and for cars to see you.
- Discuss a plan for emergencies - While young children should always go with an adult, some parents feel comfortable allowing a group of older children to commute together without supervision. Regardless, be sure to communicate your expectations clearly so your child knows what to do, who to call, or where to go in case of an emergency.
- Start a walking school bus - Invite families in your neighborhood to walk children to school together as a group as part of a “walking school bus.” It’s easier to be seen as a group, plus it’s just plain fun.
Micro Kickboard is happy to celebrate International Walk or Bike to School Day because it promotes many values that we love. First, it helps to get families up and moving! Active transportation is our passion not only because it’s fun and convenient, but because it helps keep us healthy. Getting regular exercise is an easy way to keep diseases like diabetes, cancer and heart disease away.
We also love that scooting, biking, and walking help to keep the environment clean. By reducing the amount of trips you take by car, you’re keeping greenhouse gasses out of the atmosphere. Woohoo!
One lasting benefit from using active transportation to get to school is a stronger sense of community. Getting to know your neighbors via your walk to school is a great way to grow your network, have fun, and promote street safety.
Celebrating International Walk or Bike to School Day with Micro? Tag us on social! Just use @microkickboard for a chance to be featured.